Topic: Some people regard video games as harmless fun, or even as a useful educational tool. Others, however, believe that videos games are having an adverse effect on the people who play them. In your opinion, do the drawbacks of video games outweigh the benefits?
- A positive effect on the user: tác động tích cực lên người dùng
- Are more likely to: có khả năng hơn
- A harmful impact: tác động tiêu cực
- Be both entertaining and educational: cả về giáo dục và giải trí
- Virtual worlds: thế giới ảo
- Exciting and engaging: hứng thú và nhập tâm
- Real-life pastimes: thời gian rãnh
- An educational perspective: khía cạnh giáo dục
- Encourage imagination and creativity: thúc đẩy trí tưởng tượng & sáng tạo
- Logical thinking and problem solving: suy nghĩ trình tự & giải quyết vấn đề (kỹ năng)
- Real-world tasks: những công việc thực tế
- Be highly addictive: bị nghiện rất nhiều
- Been linked in part to: được trở thành một phần
- Sedentary lifestyle: phong cách làm việc ngồi cả ngày (dân văn phòng)
- Gaming addiction: nghiện game
- The potential dangers: mối nguy tiềm ẩn
- The possible benefits: lợi ích tích cực
Many people, and children in particular, enjoy playing computer games. While I accept that these games can sometimes have a positive effect on the user, I believe that they are more likely to have a harmful impact.
On the one hand, video games can be both entertaining and educational. Users, or gamers, are transported into virtual worlds which are often more exciting and engaging than real-life pastimes. From an educational perspective, these games encourage imagination and creativity, as well as concentration, logical thinking and problem solving, all of which are useful skills outside the gaming context. Furthermore, it has been shown that computer simulation games can improve users’ motor skills and help to prepare them for real-world tasks, such as flying a plane.
However, I would argue that these benefits are outweighed by the drawbacks. Gaming can be highly addictive because users are constantly given scores, new targets and frequent rewards to keep them playing. Many children now spend hours each day trying to progress through the levels of a game or to get a higher score than their friends. This type of addiction can have effects ranging from lack of sleep to problems at school, when homework is sacrificed for a few more hours on the computer or console. The rise in obesity in recent years has also been linked in part to the sedentary lifestyle and lack of exercise that often accompany gaming addiction.
In conclusion, it seems to me that the potential dangers of video games are more significant than the possible benefits.
(258 words, band 9)
Có Thể Bạn Cần
IELTS speaking và IELTS reading: tổng hợp những bài mẫu để luyện nói và đọc theo chuẩn IELTS. Mục IELTS listening: Luyện nghe theo sách. Tiếp đến là IELTS task 1 và IELTS task 2: tổng hợp những bài mẫu band 8 giúp bạn có thêm nguồn tự ôn luyên kỹ năng viết.