Some people think that all teenagers should be required to do unpaid work in their free time to help the local community. They believe this would benefit both the individual teenager and society as a whole. Do you agree or disagree?
- a volunteer basis: chỉ mang tính tự nguyện
- as a whole: như là một tổng thể
- unpaid work: việc không lương
- under enough pressure with: chịu áp lực với
- spare time/ free time: thời gian rảnh
- as demanding as a full-time job: đòi hỏi như công việc toàn thời gian
- leisure activities: hoạt động giải trí
- the values of a free and fair society: giá trị của một xã hội công bằng & tự do
- lead to resentment: tạo ra sự tức giận
- make this compulsory: làm cho việc này trở thành bắt buộc
Many young people work on a volunteer basis, and this can only be beneficial for both the individual and society as a whole. However, I do not agree that we should therefore force all teenagers to do unpaid work.
Most young people are already under enough pressure with their studies, without being given the added responsibility of working in their spare time. School is just as demanding as a full-time job, and teachers expect their students to do homework and exam revision on top of attending lessons every day. When young people do have some free time, we should encourage them to enjoy it with their friends or to spend it doing sports and other leisure activities. They have many years of work ahead of them when they finish their studies.
At the same time, I do not believe that society has anything to gain from obliging young people to do unpaid work. In fact, I would argue that it goes against the values of a free and fair society to force a group of people to do something against their will. Doing this can only lead to resentment amongst young people, who would feel that they were being used, and parents, who would not want to be told how to raise their children. Currently, nobody is forced to volunteer, and this is surely the best system.
In conclusion, teenagers may choose to work for free and help others, but in my opinion we should not make this compulsory.
(250 words, band 9)
Mời bạn kết nối cùng Team trên YOUTUBE